Friday, July 16, 2010

Celebrating the Personal Chef Appreciation Day


According to the message I got from USPCA, today is the Personal Chef Appreciation Day.

I am celebrating by participating in another BNI meeting (Peninsula Connections in Belmont; very small cozy group; the impression that most members are new start-ups with few customers, just like myself, but pretend to be bigger, is still there, but not so strong as in other chapters; humane meeting time - 8:30 on Fridays; awful food; Russian CPA that I may or may not know from my previous life; good looking personal trainer; I'm still not sure that it's worth the fee), California Sauvignon Blanc, figs with blue cheese, and making piroshki for the local USPCA chapter meeting tomorrow.

I got myself invited to the local chapter meeting, and the president told me that it's in one of the members home in Dublin, and, after I asked, that it's OK to bring food. She didn't tell me much more. It appears that most PCs are as introverted as I am, and I rather like it. We'll see.

So I figured that it's my chance to start on my mission of making Russian cuisine one of the recognized World cuisines. I'm making piroshki with beef and with mushrooms. A lot of kneading, grinding and chopping involved. After watching Food, Inc. I don't buy ground meats anymore. I didn't like them before, and I used to complain that you can taste pieces of skin, hoof, and horn that go into them. But after seeng how durty these grinders are, I don't even want to taste the ground meats in order to complain. So I buy top round or chuck roasts, wash, dry and grind them. Even in my temperamental old fashioned manual grinder it only takes a few minutes (+ 30 minutes for the clean-up).

In recognition of local tastes, I am making everything much spicier than my grandma used to make. The beef piroshki filling is seasoned with red onion, garlic, bacon, red wine, oregano, smoked paprika, and a lot of salt and pepper. Mushroom filling got white wine, nutmeg, salt, pepper, and white truffle oil. Yes, I have run out of onions; otherwise it would be mushroom-onion filling.

No comments:

Post a Comment